With the hot months upon us, it’s good to go over some tips to stay cool and safe while pregnant. It’s no joke to be heavily pregnant in the summer. While you have the awesome benefits of a having great array of fresh veg and fruits in the summer, the heat can be so oppressive it can distract from the pros of having a summer baby. So what’s a hot pregnant person to do!?
- Stay covered: Despite the urge to strip it all off in the middle of the playground, keeping covered will protect you from the rays of the sun. Keep the clothing light in color and stick to natural fabrics like cotton or linen. Channel your inner Audrey Hepburn! Wear a hat for added protection. Straw or cotton is great, so again, keep it natural in material and light in color. Dark colors attract the heat. If you are at the beach or pool, have an umbrella to stay under so you are not constantly in the sun.
- Schedule outside time right: The peak hours for the sun is 11 am to 3 pm. So try to get your fun or errands done early in the day or wait for the sun to be setting to enjoy the outdoors. Save the midday activities for the air-conditioned places.
- Hit the pool: Swimming is great for cooling you off. We are also blessed in Buffalo to have splash pads in most parts of the city. They were opened today so check out if there is one close by.
- Guzzle the water: It’s important to stay hydrated when pregnant to begin with, so when you add heat to the mix you’ve got to really keep track. Always have a bottle with you. If you are not a natural water drinker, try adding fruits, veggies, and herbs. Strawberry and lemon perhaps or watermelon mint and cucumber. So many options that you could play with. You could even add a few drops of red raspberry tincture.
- Block the sun: Get a good sunblock. The higher the SPF the better. If you go swimming you should reapply. Most last a few hours. If you have a favorite please comment below. I’m in the market for a new one.
- Adventurer look: Wet a bandana with cool water and wrap it around your neck to keep cool.
So if we have a hot summer, there is no need to hide indoors. You can have fun and stay safe while pregnant. Have more tips please share with the class. You can come in and get a massage with cold stones as well. Very chill experience. Enjoy your summer and stay safe!